Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Fear and Loathing In . . . Everywhere

Like most of you, I was riveted to my television on Tuesday as coverage of the riots in Baltimore unfolded.  And, yes, they were riots, not a "revolution."  I was appalled at the rampant lawlessness, I was appalled at the refusal to engage on the part of the police, but I am also equally appalled at the rising trend of police brutality among our law enforcement - a brutality that gives all appearances of being racially-motivated.

What fills me with fear, though, is the question no one is asking:  why now?  Why, only in the last two or three years, have we seen such an exponential rise in aggressive force and overt racism among police officers?  To be sure, such incidents have happened in the past, but not to this extent.  Police officers were not shooting people in the back, breaking their necks, confiscating cell phones and smashing them to pieces, giving unarmed people closed head injuries . . . I could keep going.  And, lest we think these tactics are only aimed at black folks, let us not forget the 51-year-old unarmed white man whom police shot and killed - after firing twenty rounds into him.  Why did they do it?  He led them on a high-speed chase.  True, he was breaking the law, but his actions did not warrant his death, and they certainly did not warrant being shot with twenty rounds.

Then there was the Hispanic/White 2-year-old whose face was blown off by a flash grenade.  Why?  A drug arrest.  But, as it turns out, the guy the police were after didn't even live there.  Now, let's stop for a moment and ask ourselves, even if it were the right house, would throwing a grenade into a toddler's crib be an appropriate action in such a case?

And we could go on about the white firefighter arrested while helping out victims of an automobile crash, the homeless man (also white) in New Mexico who was shot in the back while complying with officers, the 11-year-old who was forced to the ground at gunpoint . . . . for building a tree fort, the father arrested for picking up his kids from school, the rather suspicious incident of a teenager who shot himself in the head while handcuffed in the back of a patrol car, or . . . the list can go on.  The last three years have not been comforting, and few are wondering why.

Then there is the militarization of police, the arming of Federal agencies like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (46,000 rounds of hollow-point bullets were ordered by the Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement), and the ever-debated and controversial Jade Helm.  There's the argument over whether or not ISIS is in Mexico (the Left says "no," the Right says "yes," but since neither side is completely trustworthy, who can tell?), and the open borders allowing for anyone (even ISIS) to come through virtually unchecked.   

Then there's the war on religion, especially Christianity.  We're seeing a growing backlash of - let's face it - spiteful same-sex marriage proponents seeking to destroy the lives of Christian business men and women.  We're seeing attempts to force pastors into performing same-sex marriages.  Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton has openly declared that certain religions must change their fundamental viewpoints, a direct violation of the First Amendment.   

So what does this do for us as Christians?  What does it mean?

It means absolutely nothing.  It changes nothing for us, as disciples of Jesus (and in case you're wondering, that is not easy to type).

The Scriptures are filled with assurances and reassurances that God has this, and that He is in control, despite what it may look like.  Consider:

"This is my command - be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:9).

"I am the Alpha and the Omega - the beginning and the end," says the Lord God.  "I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come - the Almighty One" (Revelation 1:8).

"And why worry about your clothing?  Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow.  They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you.  Why do you have so little faith?" (Matthew 6:28-30).

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.  And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.  And this hope will not lead to disappointment.  For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with love (Romans 5:3-5) . . . and perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4:18).

And yet we fear, don't we?  I do.  I know I shouldn't, but I do.  But if I'm honest, I have the really unfortunate task of admitting to myself that fear isn't the problem, the problems aren't the problem - it's that I don't fully trust God.  I can trust Jesus with my salvation, but I can't seem to trust Him with my security.  I trust that my eternity is set, but I don't trust that my now is set, or that my now will, by necessity, one day lead into my eternity.  I love Jesus' words to His disciples in John 16, because, frankly, I need the reminder on a daily basis:

"I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices.  You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.  A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.  So with you:  now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.  In that day you will no longer ask Me anything.  I tell you the truth, My Father will give you whatever you ask in My name.  Until now you have not asked for anything in My name.  Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. . . .

"I have told you these things so that you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world" (John 16:20-24; 33).

I. Have. Overcome. The. World.

Five words that should give all of us hope.  These five words should be our mantra, our prayer, our reminder, our daily meditation.  He has already overcome the world.  Who, then, shall we fear?

Those who take our wealth?  Our treasure is in Jesus.

Those who take our families?  God will wipe away every tear from every eye.

Those who take our homes?  The Son of man prepares our permanent home.

Those who take our very lives?  To live is Christ, to die is gain.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that this world can take from us that is better than Jesus.  Jesus is all we need, because in Jesus is found freedom and life.  Do you not know that before Jesus, we were dead, but that we are dead no longer?  Do you not know that before Jesus, we were slaves to sin, but we are now free?  Because of Him, we are alive and we are free.  There is absolutely nothing that this world can take from us that is better than Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment