Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Beef Stroganoff

Okay, so when I was growing up, my mom made a killer beef stroganoff.  I mean, killer.  There is only one problem:  it takes a packet of french onion soup mix, which isn't something we typically keep around.  So one night, my wife and I decided to make my mom's recipe, but we didn't have the soup mix.  She and I spent ten minutes trying to recreate french soup mix using fresh ingredients, threw in a little Dijon mustard for fun, and ended up with this beauty.  My mom was an excellent cook, and, as I said, her beef stroganoff was terrific, but this one's better.  Way better (she still made the best meatloaf I've ever had, though).  


3 lbs. round steak, cubed, + a little     1/2 t black pepper
     flour
1 onion, chopped                                 3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms                       1/3 c flour
1 T dried parsley                                 1 c beef broth
1 T Dijon mustard                               1 c milk, warm
3/4 t salt                                               8 oz. sour cream
1/2 t dill                                              egg noodles, cooked according to pkg.

1) Dredge meat in a small amount of flour until lightly and evenly coated.  In large skillet over medium heat, brown meat and mushrooms  Add onion, cook until just softened, approx. 3 minutes.
2) Add next 9 ingredients (through flour), blending well.
3) Reduce heat to low.  Stir in broth and milk.  Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.  Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally (roughly every 30 minutes).
4) Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until smooth.  Return to heat, until warm.
5) Serve over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment